I finally broke down and purchased a kindle. I worked out how much I've spent on real books and what the difference would be if I had purchased a kindle and ebooks instead. I was about 1/2 way to the cheapest kindle they sell, so I decided to go for it (and not carry any more 1200 page books around in my backpack to and from work).
I got the $79 deal. I've had it for a couple of weeks and have read a couple of hundred (real) pages on it (maybe it's just the book I got, but there aren't any page numbers... it just tells me I'm 20% through it). With a little work I was able to get the Standard Works on it. The Church has done a great job for phones and tablets, but I think there is work to be done in the ereader world. On that note, I wouldn't recommend it for Church use, as it seems very hard to quickly jump around to different books and chapters.
Overall I'd give it 4/5 stars. The only negative I have is that it's hard to jump around. I've started using book marks so that might make it a little better. For example, I'm reading a book about a programming language, and I often find myself reading some code thinking, "what does that symbol do again?" I know that area of the book that talked about it, so I head to the table of contents to follow the link to the right chapter and section. Then I flip through a bunch of pages (each real page takes a couple of epages) until I find it. There is a 'search' option, but I haven't had much luck with it. It seemed a little easier to do with a real book, especially once you train the binding on which pages are really important.
I don't mind the advertising (you get ads with the $79 version), you don't see any ads while you've got a book open so it's not like their in your face all the time.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Cool! I know Kindle does % through instead of page numbers, which I wish my Nook did. With ebooks, the page numbers are sometimes misleading... Make sure you share with your wife!!! ;)
ReplyDeleteHa! Share with your wife? His wife has hardly seen it, let alone touch it!
ReplyDeleteJust kidden love. Well, I mean it's true, I'm not sure I have actually touched it. But you know...